Rockstar Games Studio
Rockstar Games is a producer and publisher of video games operating in the industry since 1998, for PCs, consoles and mobile devices owned by Take 2 Interactive. The company’s headquarters is located on New York’s Broadway, in the same building that houses Take 2 offices, but the most important Rockstar studios are located in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK), Carlsbad (USA) and Toronto (Canada). The head of Rockstar Games is one of the co-founders of the company, Sam Houser.
Rockstar Games – Game Producer:
Rockstar Games is currently conducting its development activities through eight development studios located in the United States, Canada, Europe and Asia. The Rockstar Games group includes the following branches (listed in alphabetical order):
- Rockstar India based in Bangalore (India) – established in 2016, previously functioning under the name Technicolor India,
- Rockstar Leeds based in Leeds (UK) – created in 2004 as a result of the acquisition of the Möbius Entertainment studio,
- Rockstar Lincoln based in Lincoln (United Kingdom) – established in 1999 as a result of the acquisition of Tarantula Studios,
- Rockstar London based in London (United Kingdom) – created in 2005,
- Rockstar New England based in Andover (USA) – created in 2008 as a result of the acquisition of Mad Doc Software,
- Rockstar North based in Edinburgh (United Kingdom) – established in 1999 as a result of the acquisition of the DMA Design studio and renamed Rockstar North in 2002,
- Rockstar San Diego based in Carlsbad (USA) – established in 2003 as a result of the acquisition of Angel Studios,
- Rockstar Toronto based in Toronto (Canada) – created in 1999.
Over the years, in the Rockstar Games group there were also the following non-existing studies:
- Rockstar Japan with its headquarters in Tokyo (Japan) – created and closed in 2005,
- Rockstar Vancouver with its headquarters in Vancouver (Canada) – established in 2002 as a result of the Barking Dog Studios acquisition, in 2012 combined with Rockstar Toronto,
- Rockstar Vienna based in Vienna (Austria) – established in 2003 as a result of the acquisition of the Neo Software studio and closed in 2006
Rockstar Games game publisher:
In the initial period of activity, Rockstar Games dealt with the publishing of games created by external developers. The most important titles from this period are worth mentioning:
- Grand Theft Auto 2, Grand Theft Auto III and Wild Metal Country (console version) – DMA Design studios (currently Rockstar North),
- The Italian Job – Pixelogic studies,
- Max Payne and Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne – by Remedy Entertainment,
- Monster Truck Madness 64 – Edge of Reality studio,
- They – Bungie Software,
- Smuggler’s Run and Midnight Club series: Street Racing – by Angel Studios (now Rockstar San Diego),
- Earthworm Jim 3D (console version) and State of Emergency – VIS Entertainment studios.
With the acquisition of the DMA Design studio (and in the subsequent years also other development studies), Rockstar Games focused exclusively on publishing its own production. Over the years, the most important brands in the company’s publishing portfolio have been the series of action games: Grand Theft Auto IV PC Download, Red Dead and Max Payne. Rockstar games usually appear on consoles of Microsoft and Sony, and then (usually with a certain delay) on PCs. The company has also been transferring its classic productions to popular mobile platforms for some time.